Wireless drop off

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by peter, Jun 13, 2006.

1. peter

peter Geek Trainee

I am currently having drop offs on my wireless network.
    Is it possible to extend my range of reception slightly as when I go out in the garden or conservatory I lose connection.
    Ps the distance is only about 10 metres from the router modem.
    any suggestions like a better aerial on the router modem etc ?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

one way you could extend the range of your router would be tou use a larger of more efficiant antenna (aerial)
    try looking here

or use your fav search engine to search for "extend router range"

3. Addis

Addis The King

The most common reason for bad signal is objects in the line of sight such as metal, concrete which can lower the signal quality. If you can, position your router/laptop within a clear line of sight. Walls generally don't present too much of a problem unless they're thick. Metal and mirrors can also affect the signal.

Most routers use whats called an "omnidirectional antenna" which is a single verticle antenna which radiates the signal horizontally in all directions. The signal can become weaker if its not on the same level.

To improve this, you can use a "directional" antenna which is used to point and amplify the signal strength in one particular direction. This can be useful when you need the extra umphf to help with an interferring obstacle. This can of course be changed to point to the new location of your laptop.

Don't forget to look at the strength of the signal coming from your laptop as well. While adding a better antenna gain to the router may help the signal, you also need to check that the signal gian on your laptop isn't poor. If you have a PCMCIA cardbus wifi card in your laptop, then you can sometimes add a better antenna which will significantly improve signal quality.

4. peter

peter Geek Trainee

Thanks will try a better aerial

Will try and locate again