Wireless and regular network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by jari, Dec 20, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    we have three computers on a "regular" ADSL network router (access to internet) and I haven't ever used a wireless combonents so I have to ask what does it take to take advance of computers wireless ethernet card?
    I suppose you need to have a wireless router or something for the wireless network but could you possibly use both router with wires and wireless at the same time? So that only computers with wireless card use the wireless router.

Thanks.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Another Box With Wireless (Computer or Wireless Router)

yes, you Can use the wireless and wired feature's of your router at the same time... although wires are allot faster, reliable and private than wireless.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

yeah most wireless routers also have 4 ports for plugging in wires

4. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thank you. So would you think it's possible to use two routers, wireless and wired?
    If I buy an wireless it's of course ok if it has ports for wires but if it saves money to buy just simple wireless then that's the way I need to go.

5. Addis

Addis The King

If you already have a wired router, you don't need a wireless router. All you need is a wireless access point. The access point will act like a switch on the network, your wireless computers will still get their IP addresses via DHCP from your normal router just like any other computer on the network.

6. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks! That is good to know.

7. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Could some one please help me to choose wireless access point used with a-link's roadrunner 44e?
    If I understood right the cable would go from the roadrunner to the access point?

I have been comparing WL54AP2 and TW-7206APG which seem to a alike, so if any one knows why should I pick the other then please let me know.

Thanks.

8. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi again, I have to ask one thing because this thing bothers me.
    Should the wireless router and wired router be connected together with a ethernet cable in order to have both? Or could the phone line be splitted so that it goes to both routers?
    Because we need all the possible ethernet cable slots with the wireless.

Thanks again.

9. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

They will need to be joined together, the wired router is just a router + switch in one... you can get switches quite cheaply if you get them in the right place!

10. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Alright, thank you! This is quite clear now. :)