Will anyone plz tell me why wireless network periodically resets despite great signal

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

It's annoying. Is this something all wireless networks do or does that just mean that my router sucks?? I have two networks, one set up in my parents' house and one at my apartment where I spend most of the time. I have the same exact router on both networks and both networks do this. It doesn't happen too often but every once in a while, say once every hour or so, my connection dies and immediately reconnects again. This happens even when my signal is "excellent" according to the status icon in my taskbar. It doesn't seem to depend on the signal strength, in fact. When I get far away and the signal becomes weak, it still seems to reset the connection at about the same frequency (although I could be wrong, I haven't looked into this or tested it with any degree of thoroughness at all). I have never had a wireless router prior to this one so I don't really have any other experience with wireless networks. Help much appreciated!

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

unfortunately, i've never seen a solution for your problem... quite a few people have mentioned it on hwf, but i think your just going to have to put up with it (go wired if you need it to be reliable, wireless should never be considered essential)

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Ah. Well thanks, at least now I know my router isn't total trash if others do it too. Hmm, but does it ever NOT happen? In other words, are you saying this is only a common occurrence or does every wireless network in the world do this? My router is a buffalo WHR G54S, by the way.