RAM problems

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by SexiMexi9018, Oct 18, 2006.

1. SexiMexi9018

SexiMexi9018 Geek Trainee

i just got a stick of Kingston 512 Ram and when i install it everything runs fine untill well three different things have happended so far
    1) when i first installed it, and i tuned the monitor on the monitor would not turn on, so i unpluged the cable and did it agian, and still it would not come on, so i did it one more time and shoved it in there as hard as i could and it worked
    2) later that day, i was online and then my screen went black, i didn't know what was wrong, beucase i could still hear my music playing and the paper i was printing was still printing, but then after a little while of just letting it sit there everything stopped, my computer was still on at this point but there was no sound, no printing, nothing, so i opended up my computer to make sure everything was good and it was so i closed it up and turned it back on here comes number 3
    3) when i turned it on it got to the blue welcome screen, and the bottom of the screen was covered in black missing spots, then it loaded all the items on my desktop but my wallpaper was still the blue welcome screen and there were giant white spots around my icons. so i just shut it down and took the ram out and everything is fine.

i have one stick of ram that came with my computer (emachines) i dont know what brand it is but i know its not kingston, and someone is going to tell me that i need the same brand of RAM then im kinda sure that is not true becuase my friend has two different types of ram and his works fine

so if someone can please tell me how to fix this i would really love to know so i can play all my games with good ram.

2. viper

viper Geek

It sounds to me that the new RAM is buggered, you shoudln't need to get the same make of RAM for it to work. I suggest trying it in another computer if you have one, or a friends or something. But i would just send it back and see if that is the problem.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Try running your new stick on its own and run memtest 86+.
    If things all went belly up after you installed the RAM it probably is the RAM.

Did you check the CAS rating of the RAM? To be honest most manufactured PCs have CAS 3 RAM anyway but you never know.... you might be set to 2.5 or 2 in BIOS and have just bought a CAS 3 stick? It will say the CAS rating on the sticker on the RAM and also in pcwizard.... then go into BIOS to set the setting.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hiya, well after running memtest you can use PCWizard to find the type of RAM you have installed (if RAM unlabled, as E-machines are) check attachment (imageshack not working)

if you want to upgrade you will need a new PSU (emachines have crap PSU's) and dodgey power switches (from mobo to case front) replace those and you've then got a decent system

5. SexiMexi9018

It says that i have DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400] thats the kind that was in my computer when i bought it if that helps i still dont know how im going to fix it, i have tryed everything that everyone has told me except for sending it back, i bought it from Tiger Direct and i wanna send it back as the very last resort.

6. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

Take out your new stick of RAM and run the computer just with the old stick.

If the problem still persists, then it could be your video card that's screwing up.

Also, watch out for static when you touch the RAM. Make sure that you either wear an anti-static wrist band or touch a large piece of metal. (ex fridge)

7. SexiMexi9018

hey, yea i have been doing that for the past week, i have known it was my new stick of ram since the problem started when i put it in, but thanks anyway. Im getting a new powersupply, i think that might help. so if anyone has any more ideas please tell me.

8. SexiMexi9018

well i found something new out, today i wanted to see what the problem was so i took out the old stick of ram and put in the new one and it works fine, so im thinking that the problem is that my computer can not handle 2 sticks of ram at the same time beucase the psu in my computer is crap, so i ordered a new one today....any one think this will work better?

9. zeus

zeus out of date

Did you check the CAS ratings? Have a look at both sticks in PC Wizard, you will need to set BIOS to the stick with the highest number.... probably 3.

10. SexiMexi9018

the cas for both of them is 2.5 but what is the button i have to push to get into the bio's i always forget so i try to press like every button but i have not been getting it.

11. zeus

zeus out of date

It can be different but del usually does it.

12. SexiMexi9018

ok well i changed it, and everything has been working fine, but im going to wait till i get my powersupply it should be here on monday, and then i'll put my other ram stick in and see if it can handle both of them