I think i've killed my Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by megamaced, Dec 8, 2005.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I can't get any life out my nVidia Geforce2 MX 400 graphics card. The fan doesn't even spin, which could signal it's not getting any power or its :swear:

Does this sound like a graphics card failure or a bad AGP slot to you?

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

sounds like a graphics card failure, its an old card, its had plenty of life, so it could of just died.

3. megamaced

I think I had a similar problem with an even older S3 Trio 3D/x2 Graphics card. If so, the AGP slot could be damaged from excessive/aggressive insertion and removal of cards, not intentionally obviously!

Lets propose for a minute that the graphics card is indeed dead, can I go out and buy an AGP x8 card and stick it in an AGP x2 slot?

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek Staff Member

No. There are three commonly-seen AGP standards: 1.0 (1x), 2.0 (2-4x), and 3.0 (4-8x). Since your card is AGP 2.0, you'll have to use an AGP 2.0 spec card. There are voltage differences between each AGP version, so there is no room for compromise here.

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

beat me to it.....every word golden!

[ot]
    I just realised that your Penguin's sign changes according to the user's set-up! You are one clever muva!!!!
    [/ot]

:cool:

6. megamaced

The Geforce2 MX used a x4 interface and that worked ok in my x2 slot.

Okay, so what 'classic' graphics card would you recommend? Remember, this is my second computer and is mainly for taking apart and putting back together for college projects ;) . Anything more then 32MB would be over the top for this computer!

How about a Geforce2 GTS 32MB or something by ATi? Would you recommend the S3 Savage 4 or 3dfx Voodoo 5? I've seen some very cheap SIS 315 cards that are 32MB and use a x4 interface. They are only £14 brand new!!

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yep, anything from Geforce, Geforce 2, Geforce 3 or Geforce 3 Ti to a Radeon DDR, Radeon 8500 or Radeon 9000 should do fine!

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek Staff Member

Actually I'd say a Radeon 9100 rather than a 9000 if you're going to go ATI... the Radeon 9000 and 9200 both have only 1 pixel pipe, while the 8500 and 9100 each have 2. I think you can even get GeForce FX series in that AGP spec, which would be fairly effective compaired to the other cards in that class.

9. megamaced

I've tested the Geforce in a friends computer. Unfortunately it sprung to life, the fan turned and the monitor flashed!

I say unfortunately because that confirms the AGP slot on my ECS has died! :( . My dear ECS P6bat-A+ has been crippled! I guess it couldn't handle being a student test computer!
    I'm giving any ECS critic some real ammunition here! Thing is, because of the boards age, any problem like this means fatality.

10. AgentGOD

AgentGOD Geek Trainee

Get a GeForce 6500 ;) It's cheap, and perfect for you. Look on Newegg.com, for the GeForce 6500 (NOT 6600).

11. Yeah the 6500 is a decent card that will play any game u want it to. AN its only 75 bucks :)

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That would be a little too much, something like a 9200 or a low end GeForce Card would do fine if it's just for taking apart and the occasional project.
    He doesn't need to play games on it so a 6500 is just not needed. I don't think they make them with newer AGP3 slots do they?

13. megamaced

Sorry, I think you guys misread my last post! I have since discovered that my old Geforce 2 MX IS WORKING and my AGP slot on my ECS P6bat motherboard has stopped working!

It seems strange that an AGP port can stop working but thats how it is!

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Ahh okay now I see....try and get a new motherboard, that's all I can suggest really, someone else may have another suggestion though.